The Job Hunt


Finding a job after university has been a lot harder than I first anticipated. From retail and admin to lab work, I have applied for numerous roles with varying results. I realised that there are so many other people who will share my woes, so I thought I could try help out. I have decided to write about how I am going about finding employment, and hopefully it will be a benefit to other people too! This specific post will be relating to the websites I am using, but future posts will look into other parts, so stay tuned! 

Indeed has been a very convenient website to use when looking for employment. Its simple layout makes it easy to use, and its advanced section with filters makes looking for the perfect role so simple to do! A benefit I have found from using Indeed, is that I can upload my CV and apply straight from their website for a lot of the roles, so it is great for applying to a lot of roles with less effort! 



Debut is a mobile app, mainly focused towards graduates. It has a few features which I think make this app ideal for a graduate. Along with a normal job search section, it has a section where employers can contact you first, and even fast track you for phone interviews! There is also a section full of information and a section of tests which can fit you with an ideal job. 





A LinkedIn profile is a great way to build professional relationships. During my time at university, I was required to make a LinkedIn profile as part of my course. In doing do, I found lots of my course mates on it and made connections with them. I then found multiple people at my university and from there, I found a vast array of people! Since signing up, I have been contacted by employers who feel I would be suitable for their role. Along with its easy to use interface, you have your own profile, where you can include your education and work history, making it easy for employers and other professionals to see! 



Overall, I feel like these three websites have been a great help in me getting back out there and starting the next stage of my life after graduating. It is so common for graduates to get into a rut of not knowing what to do, how to get the job they want, or not being able to find a role they are qualified for. A lot of people have said previously that university doesn't give you experience, which I now understand what they mean. A lot of roles want previous job experience, something I don't have. But persistence is key, and more and more opportunities will come around every day! Hopefully this post has helped if you are also in the job hunting rut. 

SomeSilverLinings

Comments

  1. Indeed is a perfect place to start when looking for a job! I recently just got a new job, and I used to fit a few websites with Indy being one of them. Like you say it's very easy to get around, speaking from someone who is not tech savvy! Thank you for sharing your thoughts, it's a very useful post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts