A Fraud Frenzy

Hello chums!

This is going to be a slightly more serious post from me. Recently, I fell victim to fraud. Somehow, my personal email address and password have been revealed, and numerous transactions made on my online accounts. To prevent you guys getting into a rough patch, I want to share my advice on what to do if you get caught out. 

Call your bank 
To be extra careful, call your bank from a different phone. If you find out about fraudulent activity from a phone call, even when you hang up, they can remain on the line, so when you dial back you call back the fraudsters themselves.

Call on a number you get from their website, not one from an email or text that could be fake.

Do not give all your security details out. If you have a pass code dont give them the full code, just a few digits.

Ask them how they can prove they are who they say they are.

Change your passwords often
This is a more obvious step, but will always help prevent people getting into your account. If a data breach happens people dont tend to use your account straight away, so the more often you change your password the less likely it'll be used.

Check for fraud 
A handy website I have discovered is Have I Been Pwned. This website allows you to check if your email address has been used in previous data breaches. It tells you where the breach was and what information has been compromised. This website was recommended to me through moneysupermarket.com, which I find to be a reliable website.



Report the crime
In the UK, the website to use to report online crime is Action Fraud. You can call this company or report the crime online. This is a police service and they will be able to assist you in whatever claim you are intended to make.


I hope this guide can be of use, make sure to check whether you have been breached too! Stay internet safe!

Some Silver Linings 

XOXO

Comments

Popular Posts